Monday, April 16, 2012

1820s archery gown completed ... well almost!

Me and Sam, mirror image
So I completed my 1820s archery gown for the 2012 Jane Austen Festival Australia, with the exception of the long sleeves.

Three of us took up the challenge of creating the gown and all made the short sleeved version due to time limitations.

My gown is a delight to wear, comfortable and it worked very well as an archery gown. I now understand the flat decoration at the front of the bodice, this ensures that the bow string has nothing to catch it when pulled back and released.

Each of us used a cotton Lincoln or sage green fabric, with salmon pink and black trims. However, our skirt trims are all slightly different. Variety is the spice of reproduction historical gowns :)


Me and Sam, front view of my gown
Archery with a modern bow

Antonia and I

More target practice

Did you see that, I hit the bulls eye, woot!

Shooting with a repro 19th century bow, much harder to pull back than the contemporary one, but I still hit the target

Me and Alex from the 95th Rifles, the Grasshoppers
I am extremely pleased with this project, it was fun to create, comfortable to wear and I learnt new techniques. I hoped you enjoyed coming along on the journey.

Earlier posts:
1820s archery gown for Jane Austen Festival Australia 2012
Back view of the 1820s Archery gown - Jane Austen
Toile for Regency Archery dress for Jane Austen Australia festival
Archery gown 1820s ~ making the dress
Archery gown, 1820s - the bodice
Archery gown 1820s - puffed sleeves and van dyke points

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Carinthia, it was a wonderful event

      Delete
  2. You did a lovely job! I will be making this same gown sometime next year and I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a fun project. I look forward to seeing yours :)

      Delete

I love to read your comments and thoughts on my posts.